Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Inkspirations and Embellish challenge

Hello,
I have another Christmas card for you today and this uses a couple of challenges. Firstly I used Makeesha Byl's Inkspirations Sketch Challenge #49:

 
I also found a colour challenge that I just had to try from Embellish Magazine using these colours:
 I knew straight away that I wanted to use Taylored Expressions Wings of Joy stamp set as it is fun to colour and also has cute whimsical Christmas images.  To keep in line with this, I took myself out of my comfort zone. I usually create cards that are simple and perhaps a classic style with very clean lines. However I thought I would try for a more shabby vintage look and I have to admit at first I thought I had made a mistake as it didn't look as crisp and clean as usual, but by the end I loved this card!!



I started out by using white for my base and adding another layer of white on top which I ran through my Cuttlebug with my Linen Impression Plate (if you click on this image the linen impression will be clearer). I then sewed a border using some linen thread. I created my own background paper by using the Guidelines Two background set with Riding Hood Red, Pretty In Pink and Vintage Sepia inks. Green rhinestones were added to the centre of each image and then this was mounted on Riding Hood Red cardstock.

The main image uses the birds from the Wings of Joy set which I stamped in Versafine Vintage Sepia ink and coloured with my Copics, including some shadow with my C1 grey marker. To add an extra touch I finished off the berries and heart with Glossy Accents to give some shine.

This image was then cut and embossed with an oval nestablity die and layered on some Riding Hood Red card cut with a scalloped oval nestability die. Some chocolate chip ribbon was layered underneath this and then it was mounted onto the card. The sentiment is also from the Wings of Joy set stamped in Vintage Sepia ink and cut to make a banner. To add another vintage touch, all of the cardstock edges were swiped with Chamomile tea dye ink.


The inside of the card was kept simple with another sentiment from the Wings of Joy set and some more hand stamped background paper to finish the theme.

I have my daughter home sick with me today so I won't get much stamping done, but I do intend to disappear into my new craft room tonight when all the kids are in bed (yes after some friends' suggestions, my husband has let me take over the empty formal lounge and buy a great craft table and buffet to store all my supplies!!). I will be back in a couple of days as I have more orders for cards to be made so I will have lots to show.

Thanks for looking - its so good to start this blog and know that some of you out there like looking at cards created by little old me!
Supplies
Stamps: Wings of Joy (TE); Guidelines Two (PTI)
Cardstock: White Basics, Guidlines Grid cardstock (PTI); Riding Hood Red (SU)
Ink: Riding Hood Red, Pretty in Pink (SU); Vintage Sepia (Versafine); Vintage Duo - Chamomile (PTI)
Miscellaneous: Copic markers; Rhinestones (Kaisercraft) Oval and Scalloped Oval Nestabilities (Spellbinders); Linen Impression Plate (PTI); Chocolate Chip Ribbon (SU); Glossy Accents(Ranger); Linen Thread

8 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning Kerry. I love every little detail. The background paper you have designed is beautiful, I love the main image and the sentiment is gorgeous. I think I need to pop over to Taylor's store, you have truly inspired me. Your shabby vintage look has turned out amazing, and your take on the sketch is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leanne,

    I have to admit that your cards are fabulous - I have been subscribing to your blog way before you bacame an Inkspiration design team member and I often find you to be a constant source of inspiration! Thanks again for your kind and lovely comments.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is soooo beautiful - inside and out!! love those colours together and how you've used them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little birds are adorable :) Darling use of the sketch. Love the snowflakes with the bling. Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is gorgeous!! I see you've recently started your blog. It looks great and I'm so happy you found Embellish Magazine challenge to join in on.

    I am sure I bought that TE stamp set but I have never used it. I'm going to have to go find it and ink that baby up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this card is a masterpiece Kerry!!! So so beautiful! The colours together are just stunning and your layout and the way you've pieced it all together just gorgeous! Seriously!!!!!!! A joy to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an absolutely gorgeous card Kerry. Love your venture into the "shabby vintage" style. Everything about it is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those birdies and snowflakes with gems!!!! Very cute card, thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete