Friday, December 17, 2010

TCP Tuesday 139

Hello!

Today I have yet another non-Christmas card to share but one that I found quite challenging. My mum needed a birthday card for my nephew who is turning 13 tomorrow. I have to say that teenage boys are THE hardest male cards to make - I have no appropriate images and I just itch to add the bling and ribbons etc. Then I remembered that I had ordered October Afternoon's Thrift Shop paper pad and found this great black and cream paper which just screamed out to be used!! Everything for the rest of the card just seemed to flow naturally and I also found it very easy to incorporate into The Cat's Pajamas Tuesday Challenge 139:


I decided to make an easel card (tutorial  here) to add a bit of interest to quite a simple card. The first step was to make the base of the easel from Kraft cardstock. After this, I layered some black cardstock on the designer paper and used a Spellbinder circle die cut a circle through both layers. I then lightly adhered these layers to some Very Vanilla card and sewed a border around this using some Kraft coloured thread.

I then diecut a smaller circle from the patterned paper and a smaller circle from Kraft card and finished off with the number 13 using some American Craft thickers. I only had white, so I used a black marker to colour them. The circles were then popped up on some dimensionals and added to the front of the card. To finish off the front, I added some cream twill tape and adhered this inside the circle opening with Scor-tape.

On the inside of the card, I diecut another patterned paper circle and a smaller vaniila circle. I stamped the Happy Birthday sentiment in Versafine Vintage Sepia ink using the Birthday Basics set from Papertrey Ink. The circles were then adhered to the centre of some Very Vanilla cardstock on dimensionals to ensure that the front of the card is held in place when opened up. Voila! Such a simple card, but I am really happy with the outcome and will definately follow this sketch again. The card does look much better IRL - it was hard to capture it properly on camera.

I have to go now and finish watching the Santa Clause 3 with my kids tonight. Even though things are slowing down there out in blogland, I can't stay away from my craft room for long or I miss it like crazy, so I will hopefully have a Christmas card to share with a new stamp I am itching to ink up and also some 3D projects that are Christmas gifts (yes I have left it till the last minute!!!)

Thanks for visiting!


Supplies
Stamps: Birthday Basics (PTI)
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Kraft (SU); Thrift Shop Designer Paper (October Afternoon);Black cardstock
Ink: Vintage Sepia (Versafine)
Accessories: Circle Nestablities (Spellbinders); Scor-tape; Kraft thread; Twill ribbon (SU)

No comments:

Post a Comment